Add Sense for Excel version 2.0.0 is now available in Microsoft App Source .
This is not a huge release – it has basically only one new feature.
You can now refresh your datasets when the Qlik Sense app is reloaded.
This will replace the existing dataset in the spreadsheet with new values but keep formatting. The same selections you used originally will be used, and the same calculations.
- if the app has been updated after you insert a dataset in your Excel spreadsheet, you will see the text ‘Outdated’ in the list of inserted tables in the add-in
- the menu that is now available in the table list contains a choice to refresh the data
- if you select this alternative, the addin will apply the same selections originally used when extracting data, and then extract the same data, replacing the old dataset
- the text ‘Outdated’ will no longer show
While this is a small change it is pretty important and could save you a lot of work. No longer will you need to make a new export of an Excel file and paste it into your spreadsheet. The add-in takes care of that for you.
Good to know
- only datasets you explicitly select to refresh will change. You can keep the old state for some if you wish.
- you can make a copy of your spreadsheet (copy ‘Sales Aug’ to ‘Sales Sept’ for example) and refresh the copy but keep the original unchanged
- Excel will not overwrite cells for you, so if your dataset might be larger this time you should not have any content below it.
You’ll find more info, setup instructions etc here.